- 1.5-2 lbs. of bacon – regular or thick cut. I personally like the regular bacon because it's easier to get crispy.
- 1 lb. of Jimmy Dean ground breakfast sausage. You can use any variety. For a dinner, Italian sausage works great.
- Pre-cooked bacon bits - approx. ½-1 C
- ½ C shredded cheese - cheddar or any variety
- ½ C precooked hash browns or French fried onions
- Maple syrup
- Memphis Low N Slow Beef and Pork Rub (optional)
- Prep Process (pre-heat the Memphis Grill to 350 degrees F)
- Place 7-8 strips of bacon closely next to each other, then weave a second layer of bacon through these strips to make a mat of bacon that is approx. one square foot.
- Lightly sprinkle Low N Slow Beef and Pork Rub on top of the mat of bacon. This adds a little flavor but also keeps the sausage from sticking to the bacon (see #8).
- Evenly spread 1 lb. of breakfast sausage over the bacon. This will be a thin layer about 3/8” thick.
- Sprinkle bacon bits or bits of precooked bacon over the breakfast sausage.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of sausage.
- Sprinkle hash browns or French fried onions over sausage.
- Drizzle some maple syrup over the sausage.
- Back-roll the sausage only so you create a layered log containing all of the ingredients except for the bacon. As you roll the sausage, keep the log tight and lightly press to remove excess air from being trapped inside.
- Forward roll the sausage and mat of bacon until it completely surrounds the sausage.
- It's ready to cook!
- Cooking Directions
- If the Memphis Grill is ready at 350 degrees F, place the Bacon Explosion directly on the lower cooking grates.
- Cook until the bacon is done and using the Meat Probe, cook until internal temp. reaches 160 degrees F. Normally, this takes about 1 1/2 hours depending on how crispy you like your bacon.
- Cut and serve immediately.
- Note: Some people will smoke the Bacon Explosion at 225-250 degrees F. Here, the general rule is that it will take one hour of cooking for each inch in diameter. Most take 2.5-3 hours but this does not make the bacon crisp up as well.
Leave Your Review
Have you made this recipe? Leave your review and share your feedback below!
Thank your for your review!
Review ratings are recalculated once every few hours - check back shortly to see the new recipe rating!
Don’t miss out
Let's be friends. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on new launches, recipes, and more.