- 1 Turkey
- Turkey Brine (any brand will do) or use recipe below
- 3 cups of Chicken Stock
- Celery, Carrot, Onion and Herbs
- Duck Fat Spray (or oil)
- Duck fat or Butter for basting
- Big Swede BBQ Badass Bird Boost or other Poultry rub
- Simple Turkey Brine:
- 2 gallons Water
- 2 cups Kosher Salt
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Black Peppercorns
- 4 Bay Leaves
- Mix commercial brine with amount of water recommended or make your own with the simple recipe listed here. Make sure that all the brine dissolves.
- Remove the neck, giblets, and liver from the cavity of the turkey and rinse inside and out under cold running water. Soak the turkey in the brine, covered and refrigerated, for 24 hours.
- Remove the turkey from the brine and rinse well under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels, inside and out. Let turkey air dry for an hour.
- To spatchcock the turkey, begin by cutting out the backbone. Open the turkey by breaking the breastbone. Flatten the turkey, breast side up. Tuck the wings under the spatchcock.
- Flip the turkey over and season the inside of the turkey. Next, flip it over again and gently stick your hand under the skin and stuff some of the poultry rub under the skin of each breast, creating an even layer. In a roasting pan, place turkey on top of celery, carrot, onion, herbs, and chicken stock. Spray turkey with duck fat spray or oil and season with your poultry rub. Let the seasoning set on the turkey for 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, set your smoker temperature to 350 F and use fruitwood pellets. Roast the turkey for 2-3 hours, or until the breast reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Baste with Duck fat spray or butter every 30 minutes. The finished skin should be golden and crispy.
- You can use the liquid in the roasting pan to make a great gravy – just separate the fat from the liquid and then reduce to about half.
Leave Your Review
Have you made this recipe? Leave your review and share your feedback below!
Thank your for your review!
Review ratings are recalculated once every few hours - check back shortly to see the new recipe rating!
Don’t miss out
Let's be friends. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on new launches, recipes, and more.