- 1 beef tri-tip (2-1/4 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Your favorite salsa, for serving
- For the rub:
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt (kosher or sea)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat grill to 225 degrees. Use mesquite or your favorite flavor of pellets.
- Combine the ingredients for the rub in a small bowl and stir to mix.
- Place the tri-tip in a baking dish and sprinkle on all sides with the rub, patting it into the meat with your fingertips. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, and rub.
- Place the tri-tip on the grill. Lower the lid and smoke the tri-tip until the internal temperature reaches 100 degrees. This will take 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Transfer the tri-tip to a plate and cover with foil.
- Reset the grill to 600 degrees. Once temperature is reached, switch to Open Flame Cooking Mode. Press the arrow to Open Flame 3 (OF-3). Carefully remove the grill grates and the EZ-Access Hatch and replace with the Direct Flame Insert.
- Remove the tri-tip from the foil. Sear the tri-tip until crusty and browned on the outside and the internal temperature reaches 120 degrees in the center for rare; 130 degrees for medium-rare (or to taste), 3 to 4 minutes per side, turning with tongs. Transfer the tri-tip to a cutting board.
- Let the meat rest for 2 minutes, then very thinly slice it across the grain. Serve with your favorite salsa. Serves 4.
Don’t miss out
Let's be friends. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on new launches, recipes, and more.