- 1 Whole chicken (3 ½ – 4 lbs)
- ¼ C softened butter
- 1 T mixed herb poultry seasoning (we prefer freeze-dried poultry seasoning mix)
- ½ tsp Kosher salt flakes
- Grinding of pepper
- Preheat the Memphis Grill to 425 F
- Turn your whole chicken over, so the breast side is down, with the chicken legs closest to you. Insert your scissors and cut along the backbone on either side to remove it. Now flip the bird over and, using the palms of your hands, press down firmly along the breast bone to flatten the chicken out. It should appear to be knock-kneed now.
- Separate the skin from the breast of the chicken by finding where the skin meets the breast along the outside edge and gently slipping your fingers inside and slipping them around to form a pocket. Do the same with the thighs and work your fingers around into the leg area. Wash your hands and proceed to the next step.
- Smoosh the butter, poultry seasoning and ¼ tsp of the salt together to form a paste. Divide into four portions.
- Once again, use your fingers to deposit the herbed butter in the pockets you’ve created between the skin and the flesh of the chicken in each of the four areas (two breasts, 2 thigh/legs). Massage the skin on the outside to distribute the butter mixture as evenly as possible in each pocket.
- Place the chicken in a cast iron frying pan or other roasting pan and sprinkle with the remaining salt and a grinding of pepper. Place the pan on the lower rack of the pre-heated Memphis Pellet Grill. Close the lid and roast the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165 F (thermometer inserted into thigh area & not touching the bone), basting occasionally. This will probably take from 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let the chicken rest for five minutes in the pan juices before carving.
Leave Your Review
Have you made this recipe? Leave your review and share your feedback below!
Thank your for your review!
Review ratings are recalculated once every few hours - check back shortly to see the new recipe rating!
Don’t miss out
Let's be friends. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on new launches, recipes, and more.