- 1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter, divided use
- 3/4 C brown sugar, divided use
- 4 C sliced peaches
- 3/4 C blueberries
- 1 C cornmeal
- 1 C flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 C buttermilk
- 1 egg
- In 9-inch cast-iron skillet, melt 4 Tbsp butter and 4 Tbsp brown sugar over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until dissolved. Arrange peaches and blueberries in syrup.
- Fire up grill, bringing temperature to 350 degres F.
- In medium bowl, whisk together remaining 1/2 C brown sugar, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in buttermilk and egg. Melt remaining 4 Tbsp butter. Stir into batter until smooth. A quick tip: to quickly soften brown sugar, place in a bowl with an apple slice, cover and microwave for 30 seconds. If you don't have buttermilk, make sour milk by placing 3 tsp of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup and adding enough milk to bring the liquid up to the 2/3 C line. Let stand for 5 minutes. Powdered buttermilk, sold in most grocery stores, is a good pantry staple if you do a lot of baking.
- Spoon batter over peaches and blueberries. Spread evenly.
- Place skillet on grill. Cook, covered, for 30 minutes or until cake is springy to touch and golden. Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Run knife around edge of pan. Invert onto platter. Cool completely before cutting.
Don’t miss out
Let's be friends. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on new launches, recipes, and more.