- For the burgers:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon each fresh oregano and mint
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon paprika (use smoked paprika, if preferred)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 slices white bread, soaked in milk and squeezed out)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- For the stuffing:
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ teaspoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, chopped
- For the vegetables:
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ teaspoon each dried thyme and oregano
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 large red onions, sliced into 1/3-inch thick rounds
- 2 red Anaheim peppers (optional)
- 3 Roma tomatoes, cut in half
- In a food processor, combine onion, olive oil, garlic, oregano, mint, parsley and lemon zest and process until well blended together.
- Toss together feta, oregano and olives in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place ground beef in a large mixing bowl, add paprika, cumin, soaked bread and egg and mix thoroughly. Add the onion and herb mixture and mix well; season with salt and pepper and form the mixture into 6 flat patties, about ¼ -inch thick. Place a teaspoon of the feta mixture in the center of each patty; fold to enclose the filling and seal. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, garlic and dried oregano and thyme and brush liberally the onion slices and tomato halves with the mixture.
- Preheat grill to about 500° F; oil the grids and place the onion slices, tomatoes and peppers; grill, occasionally brushing with the oil mixture until onions and tomatoes are tender and the peppers are slightly charred, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter, cover loosely with aluminium foil and set aside.
- Place patties on the grill and cook for about 6 minutes per side, turning once. Transfer to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Peel and seed the pepper and cut into strips.
- To serve, place a burger over an onion slice, and top with roasted pepper and tomato.
Don’t miss out
Let's be friends. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on new launches, recipes, and more.