- 5 lb boneless Prime Rib Roast
- 1 Tbsp ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp fresh Rosemary
- 2 tsp fresh Thyme
- 2 Tbsp brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Sea salt
- Sprigs of Rosemary and Thymes
- Au Jus:
- 3 cups brown stock (i.e. beef stock)
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- Trim any excess fat from the top of the roast. In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the rub and stir to combine.
- Rub the seasoning mixture generously all over the prime rib. Tie the prime rib with butchers’ twine. Let sit at room temperature for one hour. Tie some sprigs of rosemary and thyme into the twine as well for additional flavor.
- Clean and cut the vegetables for the au jus and then place the vegetables and the broth into an aluminum pan.
- Set your Memphis Wood Fire Grill to Smoke Mode 225F and use oak pellets.
- Place the roast fat side up on the upper rack. Slide the aluminum pan with the broth and the vegetables underneath and close the lid.
- Smoke until the internal temperature is 120 degrees F. for rare or 130 degrees F for medium. This will take about 2 1/2 hours. Remove the roast to a cutting board and tent with foil. Allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- While the roast is resting, pour the roasting pan mixture through a sieve and then use an oil separator to remove the fat. If needed, concentrate the au jus by reducing in a pan.
- After resting, slice the prime rib and serve immediately with the au jus.
Leave Your Review
Have you made this recipe? Leave your review and share your feedback below!
Thank your for your review!
Review ratings are recalculated once every few hours - check back shortly to see the new recipe rating!
Don’t miss out
Let's be friends. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on new launches, recipes, and more.