- 1 C cold butter, cut into small ½” chunks
- 1 C unbleached white flour
- 1 C whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ C ice water
- Place the cut-up butter chunks in the freezer for 10 – 15 minutes to get it icy cold.
- Add 1/3 C of the cold butter and pulse a few times to combine with the flour. The butter/flour mixture should have a crumb-like texture.
- Add the remaining butter but this time only pulse 4 times. There should be small butter chunks visible in the mixture now.
- Add the ice water by hand. Do not over-mix or your pastry will be tough.
- Turn the shaggy dough out onto a clean surface dusted with flour. Shape the dough into a rectangle. Dust a rolling pin with flour and roll the dough out into a 12” x 16” rectangle.
- Lifting along the 12” edge, fold the dough into the center, then over-lap with the opposite 12” edge. This will create a 4” x 16” rectangle.
- Now roll the dough rectangle up like a jelly roll along the 4” edge.
- Using a lightly floured rolling pin, once again roll the dough out into a 4” x 16” rectangle. Roll the dough up jelly roll style once more, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.
- Once chilled for an hour you can roll the dough out one last time and then cut it into four, 4” squares. Stack the squares with a piece of parchment in between each layer and freeze for later use.
Don’t miss out
Let's be friends. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on new launches, recipes, and more.