- 1 whole fryer chicken
- 2 springs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 lemon per plate
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 batch salt dough (ingredients below)
- Salt Dough Ingredients list
- 4 C flour
- 1 1/3 C kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 4 egg whites
- Water, as needed
- To make the salt dough, in a kitchen aid mixer with dough hook attachment, combine flour, salt and thyme. Mix at medium speed until incorporated.
- Add egg whites and mix for 5 minutes. If dough pulls away from the side of bowl it is done. If not, slowly add water until dough pulls away from side of bowl.
- Remove from bowl and knead for 1 minute. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from packaging and run under cold running water.
- Dry completely using a paper towel.
- Stuff cavity with lemon halves.
- Gently lift skin covering breast using your pointer finger and place herbs and garlic under skin randomly.
- Truss chicken with butchers twine.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll dough into 20 inch circle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place chicken breast down in the center of the dough.
- Starting at the top, fold dough over the chicken, pinching the dough to seal.
- Turn the bird breast side up and gently form the dough around the bird.
- Place on a half baking sheet.
- Heat grill to 400 degrees F.
- Cook on grill for 1-1 1/2 hours or until internal temperature of 165 degrees F is achieved.
- Remove from grill and let rest.
- With a knife, crack the salt crust revealing the chicken.
- Pull from crust and carve.
Leave Your Review
Have you made this recipe? Leave your review and share your feedback below!
Thank your for your review!
Review ratings are recalculated once every few hours - check back shortly to see the new recipe rating!
Don’t miss out
Let's be friends. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on new launches, recipes, and more.