- 1 whole fryer chicken
- 2 springs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 lemon per plate
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 batch salt dough (ingredients below)
- Salt Dough Ingredients list
- 4 C flour
- 1 1/3 C kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 4 egg whites
- Water, as needed
- To make the salt dough, in a kitchen aid mixer with dough hook attachment, combine flour, salt and thyme. Mix at medium speed until incorporated.
- Add egg whites and mix for 5 minutes. If dough pulls away from the side of bowl it is done. If not, slowly add water until dough pulls away from side of bowl.
- Remove from bowl and knead for 1 minute. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from packaging and run under cold running water.
- Dry completely using a paper towel.
- Stuff cavity with lemon halves.
- Gently lift skin covering breast using your pointer finger and place herbs and garlic under skin randomly.
- Truss chicken with butchers twine.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll dough into 20 inch circle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place chicken breast down in the center of the dough.
- Starting at the top, fold dough over the chicken, pinching the dough to seal.
- Turn the bird breast side up and gently form the dough around the bird.
- Place on a half baking sheet.
- Heat grill to 400 degrees F.
- Cook on grill for 1-1 1/2 hours or until internal temperature of 165 degrees F is achieved.
- Remove from grill and let rest.
- With a knife, crack the salt crust revealing the chicken.
- Pull from crust and carve.
Don’t miss out
Let's be friends. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on new launches, recipes, and more.