- Ingredients list
- 6 lb pork shoulder (or several for gifts, since the fire is hot!)
- 1 C dry BBQ rub (see recipe below)
- Hickory/ mesquite wood chips
- Apple juice (in spray bottle)
- Honey-mustard BBQ sauce (see recipe below)
- Dry Rub Ingredients list
- 1-1/4 C firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 C kosher salt
- 1/4 C granulated garlic
- 1/4 C paprika
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground red pepper
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp lemon pepper
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Honey Mustard BBQ Sauce Ingredients list
- 1 bacon slice, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 C cider vinegar
- 3/4 C prepared mustard
- 1/4 C firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 C honey
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- Brine Ingredients list
- 1/2 C table salt or 1 C kosher salt
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 2 racks baby back ribs (about 2 lbs. each), or loin back ribs
- Spice Rub Ingredients list
- 1 Tbsp sweet paprika plus additional 1/2 tsp
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp dark brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp table salt or 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- To make the dry rub, combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container. (Double or triple the recipe while you have all the ingredients out and divide into mason jars as gifts for your friends!)
- Trim fat on pork shoulder to about 1/8” thick.
- Sprinkle pork evenly with dry BBQ rub and rub thoroughly into meat. Wrap pork tightly with plastic wrap and chill for 8 hours.
- Discard plastic wrap. Let pork stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Fill Memphis hopper with Natures Way hickory or mesquite flavored barbeque pellets.
- Set Intelligent Temperature Control (ITC) to 225-250 degrees F. Maintain temperature for 15-20 minutes.
- Place pork shoulder on cooking grate fat side up.
- Spray pork with apple juice occasionally.
- Smoke pork roast. Memphis automatically maintains the temperature inside smoker between 200 and 225 degrees F for 8-10 hours (until meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of meat registers 170 degrees F.
- Remove pork from the smoker and place on a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Spray with apple juice, wrap tightly and return meat to smoker.
- Continue smoking for approx. 2 hours until meat thermometer registers 190 degrees F.
- Remove meat from smoker, unwrap and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Remove bone and chop or shred.
- To make honey-mustard BBQ sauce, Cook bacon in a medium sauce pan until crisp, remove bacon and drain on paper towel. Reserve hot drippings in saucepan.
- Saute’ onion and garlic in hot bacon drippings for about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in bacon, vinegar and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. (Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.)
- To brine the ribs, dissolve salt and sugar in 4 quarts cold water in stockpot or large plastic container. Submerge ribs in brine and refrigerate 1 hour until fully seasoned. Remove ribs from brine and thoroughly pat dry with paper towels.
- While ribs are brining, cover two cups of wood chips with water and soak 30 minutes, then drain. Combine spice rub ingredients in small bowl. When ribs are out of brine and dried, rub each side of racks with 1 Tbsp spice rub, then refrigerate racks for 30 minutes.
- Arrange ribs on grill and cover. (Grill temperature should register about 275 degrees F on grill thermometer). Cook for 4 hours, until meat easily pulls away from bone, flipping rib racks and switching their position so that the rack that was nearest to the fire is on outside, and turning racks 180 degrees every 30 minutes. Transfer ribs to cutting board, then cut between bones to separate.
- For a potent spice flavor, brine and dry the ribs as directed, then coat them with the spice rub, wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate overnight before grilling.
Leave Your Review
Have you made this recipe? Leave your review and share your feedback below!
Thank your for your review!
Review ratings are recalculated once every few hours - check back shortly to see the new recipe rating!
Don’t miss out
Let's be friends. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on new launches, recipes, and more.