- For the Halibut:
- 1 ½ lb halibut fillet, cut into equal 4 pieces
- ½ C toasted sesame seeds
- ½ tsp kosher salt flakes
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ C pickled ginger
- For the Mayonnaise:
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ C tahini paste
- 1 Tbsp soya sauce
- 1 ½ C vegetable oil
- Mix sesame seeds with the kosher salt and crush using a mortar and pestle. You can also use a spice grinder but be careful not to over-process. You want the end result to be lightly crushed seeds not powder.
- Blend the vegetable oil with the sesame oil and brush onto all surfaces of the fish steaks (or filets).
- Coat the fish pieces with the seasoned sesame seeds patting them into the surface of the fish.
- Place the sesame coated halibut onto the lower rack of the Memphis Pellet Grill and close the lid. Set the temperature to 225 F and smoke the fish for 2 – 2 ½ hours until the internal temperature of the fish reaches 145 F.
- To make the tahini mayonnaise mix together the first 4 ingredients in a blender. Turn the speed to high and very slowly add the oil in a steady stream. The dressing will emulsify as you drizzle in the oil, becoming a thick and creamy mayonnaise.
- Serve the smoked sesame crusted halibut with the tahini mayo and some pickled ginger on the side.
Leave Your Review
Have you made this recipe? Leave your review and share your feedback below!
Thank your for your review!
Review ratings are recalculated once every few hours - check back shortly to see the new recipe rating!
Don’t miss out
Let's be friends. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on new launches, recipes, and more.