- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp chipotle powder
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 2 full racks of baby back spare ribs
- ¼ C BBQ sauce
- Mix together the garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar, salt, chili powder, chipotle powder & cumin. Set aside.
- Remove the paper thin membrane from the backside of the ribs. It can be a bit hard to initially separate the membrane from the back of the rib bones but once you get it going here’s a trick that will help you pull the membrane off once you get it started. Use a small piece of paper towel or a clean cloth to grip the loosened edge of the membrane. This will keep your fingers from slipping and the membrane should come off in one piece easily.
- Coat the ribs, front and back with the Dijon mustard and sprinkle the spice rub mixture over both sides of the rack.
- Place on the bottom rack of the Memphis Pellet Grill and close the lid. Set the grill temperature to 200 degrees F and smoke the ribs for one hour.
- Baste the ribs with half of the sauce and turn the grill heat up to 350 degrees F. Grill for ½ hour (lid down) then brush the remaining sauce on the ribs and continue grilling for another ½ hour.
- The ribs are done when the internal temperature reaches 180 – 190 degrees F. It may be hard to gauge the temp using a thermometer so simply check the side of the ribs visually. When they are done the meat retreats from the edge of the ribs leaving about a quarter to a third of an inch of rib bone showing along the side of the rack. The rack should twist easily and if you insert a toothpick between the ribs it should slide in and out easily. This means the fats and collagens have melted leaving you with a tender and tasty rack. But don’t expect the meat to be falling of the bone when you use this method. The end result will be a tender and lightly smoky flavored rack of ribs and it will be ready to eat in approximately 2 hours!
Don’t miss out
Let's be friends. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on new launches, recipes, and more.