- New York Strip Steak
- 2 New York Strip steaks, 2-3 inches thick
- 3 Tbsp SPG (Salt, Pepper, Garlic) BBQ Rub
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- Bourbon Mushroom Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 large Shallot minced
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1 1/2 Cups sliced Cremini mushrooms or other mushroom of your choice
- 2 oz Bourbon
- ½ Cup Beef stock
- 1 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup Whipping cream
- 1/2 Tsp chopped Fresh Thyme or 1/4 tsp dried Thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the NY strip steaks and remove fat chunks. Season the steaks generously with the SPG BBQ rub. Let the steaks rest for 45 minutes so the seasoning can penetrate the meat.
- Set up the Memphis Wood Fire Grill to Smoke Mode and 225F. Use a blend of Oak and Hickory wood pellets for a good flavor. Place the steaks in the grill and insert a temperature probe in one of the steaks. Smoke until the steaks reach an internal temperature of 120F.
- While you wait for the steaks to get to temperature start with the sauce. Begin by sautéing the mushrooms over medium heat in the butter until they shrink and just begin to turn a little brown at the edges. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Next, add shallots and garlic and sauté for another minute or so until they soften. Add the bourbon and let that cook off for only a minute. If you are cooking over gas, watch out so the bourbon won't light on fire. If that happens, remove the pan from the stove and let the fire die down. Then you want to add the beef stock and the nutmeg and allow the sauce to reduce by half.
- Finally, add the whipping cream and thyme and cook for only a minute or two more until the sauce is the right consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the steaks have an internal temperature of 120F, remove them and place in some aluminum foil and place a couple of slices of butter on top. Set up the Memphis Wood Fire Grill for Direct Flame, maximum heat.
- When the grill is hot, sear all sides of the steaks quickly and then let the steaks rest for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve the New York Strip steaks with the Bourbon Mushroom Sauce spooned over the top.
Don’t miss out
Let's be friends. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on new launches, recipes, and more.