- 6 slices firm-textured white bread
- 3/4 C drained dried tomatoes packed in oil with herbs (reserve oil), minced
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 3/4 lbs. 93% lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 C (5 oz.) shredded smoked fontina cheese (may substitute cheese of your choice)
- 12 hamburger buns, split horizontally
- Garnishes: sliced tomatoes, onions, avocados, butter lettuce leaves, ketchup, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise
- Mix bread in a food processor or blender until fine crumbs form. Pour crumbs into a bowl and combine with tomatoes and 6 Tbsp of the reserved oil, eggs, salt, and pepper. Add ground beef and gently mix with a fork until ingredients are evenly blended. Note: Do not over mix.
- Divide meat mixture into 24 equal portions of approximately 1/2 C each. Shape each portion into a 4 inch wide patty. In the center of 1/2 of the patties, gently make a shallow depression about 2 inch wide and place about 2 Tbsp of the cheese in each depression. Top each cheese-topped patty with a plain patty; Gently press edges together to seal well and place on platters. Cover each platter (airtight) and chill at least 20 minutes. Can leave covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat grill to 600-650 degrees F. When grill is preheated, place patties on oiled cooking grids and close lid. Cook 6 minutes, then turn burgers with a wide spatula. Continue cooking until meat is no longer pink in center (make a small cut to test, but be careful not to let cheese drip out). This will take an additional 6-7 minutes. Transfer burgers to a platter and loosely cover with foil. Place buns with cut sides down on grill and cook until toasted, about 1 minute. Alternate: at end of 3 1/2 minutes rotate patty 90° to get cross hatch sear marks and leave for 3 1/2 minutes. Flip burger and repeat this process rotating burger at 3 1/2 minutes.
- Transfer buns to a clean platter and insert burgers in buns and garnish to taste.
Don’t miss out
Let's be friends. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on new launches, recipes, and more.