There are many benefits to eating in on Valentines Day – potentially healthier options, everything on the menu could be your favourite, an intimate setting, no waiting to be seated, and no tipping required! If you are planning on staying in this February 14th, here are a few ideas to make it a memorable and romantic evening!
1. This may be obvious, but make sure you know your date’s food preferences. Oysters may be an aphrodisiac, but if your sweetie is allergic to shellfish it is not going to have the desired effect. Keep in mind that messy foods can be a bad idea when you are trying to look your best. Maybe save the wings and ribs for another time.
2. It can be tempting to pull out all the stops with a complicated gourmet dish to impress your date, but that’s not always the best plan. (Unless you really are a master chef and want to show off your skills!) Preparing something that you’ve made before or are at least very comfortable cooking means you can focus more on your special someone, and less on your detailed recipe. Plus, you will be more relaxed and more fun to be around! Here are some dishes that taste fabulous, and are a cinch to make:
3. Do your prepping earlier in the day. If something needs to thaw, make sure it’s out of the freezer. If you need to mix a marinade, start it ahead of time. Make sure the grill is fired up. Measure ingredients before your date arrives, and don’t forget to have a beverage of their choice waiting. Preparation is the key to success!
4. Have something in mind for them to help with so they aren’t hovering awkwardly while you dash around the kitchen. Cooking together can be great bonding time! Anyone can chop veggies, and these side dishes are delicious, healthy, and easy to make:
5. These three grilled deserts will end the evening on just the right sweet note! (The first two can even be cooked in advanced and chilled.):