Even experienced grillers may have trouble identifying when an unfamiliar cut or shape of meat is finished. Knowing when your food has reached the perfect level of doneness can feel more like an art than a science. But with the right tools and the right knowledge, you can eliminate the guesswork and cook every dish to perfection.
What Is the Perfect Temperature?
There are two elements to finding the optimum cook time for your food. The first is the safe minimum temperature your food must reach to prevent foodborne illnesses. The second is the best temperature to maximize the flavor and texture of your meal. The safe minimum temperature is established by the United States Department of Agriculture. The best temperature is up to your individual palate (though we have recommendations to get you started).
According to the USDA, you should make sure that all your food reaches these minimum internal temperatures before you stop cooking them:
- Beef, Lamb, Port and Veal should be cooked to 145 degrees Fahrenheit and allowed to rest for at least 3 minutes
- Ground meats, including the above, should be cooked to 160 degrees Fahrenheit
- Poultry, including ground poultry, should be cooked to 165 degrees Fahrenheit
- Ham, including fresh or smoked ham, should be cooked to 145 degrees Fahrenheit and allowed to rest for at least 3 minutes
- Fish and shellfish should be cooked to 145 degrees Fahrenheit
These temperatures represent the safe minimum internal temperature. Combined with proper food preparation and storage, cooking to these temperatures should greatly reduce the risk of food poisoning.
Easier Said Than Done
Knowing the right temperature to reach and reaching it are two different things. Traditional grilling makes hitting these temperatures quite a challenge. Grillers concerned about illness are often forced to cook meat well past the point of optimum flavor. Those more concerned with taste are forced to roll the dice when it comes to serious illnesses like E. Coli, Salmonella, Listeria and other foodborne ailments.
We’ve Got You Covered
Among the many benefits of a Memphis Wood Fire Grill is the solution to the age-old problem of cooking safety. Our grills are equipped Intelligent Temperature Control (ITC)™ system that allows you to reach and maintain optimum grill temperatures without the hassle of constant supervision.
- Our Intelligent Temperature Control will automatically maintain whatever temperature you desire, regardless of ambient weather conditions.
- Our Food Probes connect with the grill to measure the internal temperature of your food, which ensures that you’ve reached the minimum safe temperature (and it will event alert you when the temperature has been reached!)
- Finally, the Memphis Mobile App gives you the power to monitor your grill and food temps from anywhere. We even have built-in recipes that know exactly how long, and at what temperature, you need to cook your favorite dishes.
Cooked to Perfection
You don’t have to put up with burnt burgers, cold pink centers or dried out chicken breasts anymore. Your Memphis grill will reach and maintain the perfect temperature with just the touch of a button. When it’s done, the Memphis will even turn down the heat to keep your food warm until you have a chance to serve it. If you want the perfect grilling experience, and an end to fears about undercooked meat, find an authorized Memphis dealer or contact us today to learn more.