- 1 Tri-tip roast (2lbs.)
- Rub roast with olive oil to create a wet surface. This helps keep the seasoning on.
- Light to medium sprinkle of Lindberg-Snider Red Baron Barbeque Spice
- Medium-heavy grind of black pepper
- Generous sprinkle of garlic powder
- Place in ziploc bag overnight (if you have time, or just throw it on the grill). IMPORTANT – make sure your tri-tip is at room temperature before putting on the grill.
- Set Memphis Wood Fire Grill temperature to 200 degrees F. (Toggle button to actual. You should see 200 degrees in about 7 minutes).
- Place tri-tip on grill for 60-70 minutes, reaching an internal temperature of 100-110 degrees F.
- Pull tri-tip off grill and wrap in heavy duty foil to keep warm.
- Turn grill up to max temperature (600 degrees, 650 degrees or 700 degrees, depending on model). Grill should reach max temperature in 12-14 minutes (a little longer in Minnesota where we build them and when it's single digits or below 0).
- Once max temperature is reached, switch to Open Flame Cooking Mode.
- Press up arrow to OF-3 (Open Flame 3). Remove grates, remove EZ Access Hatch and replace with Direct Flame Insert. Reinstall grill gates. (Be careful with this process. All parts are HOT!)
- Create the perfect char-sear over the open flame, about 6-8 minutes for an internal temperature of 125 degrees for rare to medium rare.
- Let the tri-tip rest for 10 minutes before cutting and slice on the bias for serving.
Yield: 5-6 servings
Smoked Tri-Tip Roast with Wood Fire Sear
Calories per serving:
Fat per serving: