I've owned my Memphis Advantage for one year now. During that year, I've cooked just about everything on it. All kinds of meats and most of the popular combos and appetizers like ABT's, Fatties...
Top Ten Reasons You Should Be Grilling Over Wood
1. Taste. Unless you count starter fluid as a “flavor,” charcoal has one flavor and gas has none. Wood fire (and the subsequent smoke) has a flavor that can’t be beat. At Memphis Grills, we have eight different varieties of 100% hardwood pellets - each with its own flavor profile.
2. Ease. Charcoal can be dirty and hard to light. Our wood fire grills ignite with the touch of a button, it heats up within minutes, and the pellets burn clean with little waste.
3. Low ‘n Slow. Easily tenderize tough cuts of meat and show off your “smoke ring.” Formed when smoking meat over wood, the smoke ring is a chemical reaction just under the surface of the meat. All the great pitmasters will tell you it’s the first sign that you know what you’re doing.
4. Versatility. Cooking over wood on a Memphis Grill allows you to hold temperatures from 180 to 700 degrees, bake bread, sear a steak, smoke a brisket, and cook a turkey.
5. Professional. The double-walled stainless steel construction, full gasket, and convection fans ensure the ultimate in temperature control and retention. And it’s made in the USA.
6. Green. Wood is a renewable resource. Gas is a fossil fuel. Need we say more?
7. Simplicity. Grilling and smoking over wood used to be time and labor intensive. With Memphis Grills Intelligent Temperature Control system, it’s now just as simple as operating a kitchen oven. Set your temperature and let the grill do all the work.
8. Cost. A 20 lb. bag of wood pellets costs and lasts about the same as a tank of propane. If the cost is the same, why not go for the versatility, flavor, and overall quality?
9. Evolutionary. Cooking over wood has been a staple of the human food experience since we began to hunt. If it wasn’t for wood fire cooking, you might still be foraging for twigs and berries.
10. It’s Fun. Cooking over wood inspires experimentation. Many Memphis Grill owners start with a brief smoking session and then finish on a higher heat. Some mix and match wood flavors to create new combos. It combines the best of both worlds and allows you to bring out your inner chef.